Here at Advanced Integrative Rehabilitation & Pain Center, you’ll experience a unique blend of conventional and complementary treatment methods that safely and effectively combine traditional medicine, acupuncture, chiropractic, exercise, and nutrition. Integrative Medicine is helpful for many conditions, including neck and low back pain, headache pain, elbow and shoulder pain, knee pain, foot and ankle pain. We utilize Integrative Medicine to help relieve stress, pain, and improve overall well being and health. We see a lot of patients for pain management in Washington DC and we hear a lot of misconceptions.
Many Americans downplay pain as an annoying part of getting older. However, chronic pain is a real, bona fide disease that is on the rise! Chronic pain and its treatments are frequently misunderstood and steeped in myth.
1. Pain is a natural side effect of aging. MYTH! Sometimes it can be. As we age, some “nuisance pain” from physical wear and tear is normal. That differs from chronic pain.
2. It’s better to just tough it out and live with the pain. MYTH! Ignoring pain can have serious consequences, especially if you choose to self-medicate in unhealthy ways rather than see a healthcare professional.
3. You can injure yourself further if you exercise when in pain. MYTH! Exercise such as physical therapy can be key to successful rehabilitation. Keep moving!
4. Chronic pain can kill you. No, but it can have a profound effect on your quality of life. Certain severe situations may prompt suicidal feelings if pain seems unbearable. It’s critical to seek help from a pain management professional before despair sets in.
5. Dwelling on pain won’t make it worse than it already is. The psychological suffering that comes with physical pain can certainly make you more miserable. Dwelling on the pain in your mind can serve to emphasize it.